I was not in this seminar, well, I was but I got bored and went and worked on my message for Sunday. When I left the room the speaker got really interesting (it was my presence I guess) and here are some things he had to say about discipleship. I won't give the details of who he is but he has done more for the kingdom than just about everyone who may be reading this, at least that's what his bio suggests. Who knows, anyway, enjoy the notes.
RETHINKING DISCIPLESHIP With Dave Putnam
Core of the GOSPEL “ Love God and Love people” “ Jesus commissions his church to go and make disciples”
What Kind of Disciples are we making?
What kind of disciples am I?
Six Shifts in rethinking discipleship
a. From complexity to JESUS. To Live like Jesus, To Love like Jesus, and to Lead...
· Personal Growth –equip people to feed themselves
· Using our Gifts – Calling people to serve
· Community through Groups – Small Groups
· Visionary Giving – Giving out of Vision
· Greater Impact -
3. Shift from being a spectator to being a participator.We must allow people to participate at the stage they are in. We cannot only allow those who are born again to be a part. People are craving for meaning and acceptance. 2.
2.Shift from information to transformation. Not how much you know, but how what you know is changing your life.
4. Shift from programs to spiritual journey. Discipleship is not a program but a process. Program generally do not work. Everything we do is about making disciples. Sometimes people are becoming knowledgeable about Christ before they are converted. They are involved and serving before.
5. Shift from using qualified leaders to qualifying them to lead. Just like the military qualified the unskilled to serve, so can we.
6. Shift from individual to the whole.
This stuff is speaking to me. Discipleship is so multi-faceted. Who are you discipling? I'm wondering the same thing.