"'Right With God' But Not Churchgoer Says Thompson" in a recent headline about the popular presidential hopeful. I like Fred and he seems to share the view and value of an increasingly large amount of Americans. Here are a few reasons that I believe everyone should have a church family, not simply hop around like a consumer looking for the perfect sale or meeting with your friends on occasion to read a verse or 2. Being a part of a church family (not simply going to church although that's a start) whether it's a big church, small church or even a small group church in the backwoods somewhere is Biblical and vital to our spiritual lives. You can love Jesus but I wouldn't recommend hating his wife (the church). Here are a few reasons that I think everyone should love Christ's church (not just Freedom Life) and be a part of it. Remember, virtually every reference in the New Testament church was to an active and visible local church body.
1. It shows whether or not you are a genuine or true believer. (John 13:35 says, Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.)
2. A church family keeps you from being isolated and self-centered. (1 Corinthians 12:26, If one part suffers, all the parts suffer with it, and if one part is honored, all the parts are glad.)
3. A church family helps you grow spiritually. (Ephesians 4:16, He makes the whole body fit together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love.)
4. The church (body of Christ) needs you. (1 Corinthians 12:7, A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other.)
5. It helps us be a part of what God is doing around the world. (Ephesians 2:10)
6. A church family helps you to stay 'right with God' so that you don't fall away. (James 5:19,20; Hebrews 13:17; Acts 2:42)
Churches are not perfect, they are a beautiful mess! Commit to a church family wherever it may be and however messy it may be and let's make Jesus famous again in our generation! Thoughts?