I was wondering how I was going to break my fast this past Sunday. I had considered it during the week leading up to the big moment and was undecided. We ended up traveling to Lancaster after the Sunday service to pick something up and opted for an easy meal that we could eat on the go while half of our kids were napping. It was a great pizza (stuffed crust) and a great 21 day fast. Here are some things that I learned or relearned from the fast these past few weeks.
1. I do not eat very well. I mean, I eat pretty well just the wrong stuff.
2. I am capable of eating healthy because I did it for 21 days.
3. I really didn't miss the sugar & junk food after the 2nd week and I am planning on adapting my diet to eat less.
4. Focused discipline is very good. Fasting helps to refocus your thoughts on God.
5. Your diet affects the way you feel which in turn affects every relationship in your life. Including your relationship with God.
6. I want to eat better, feel better and know God more.
7. If you can conquer the temptation of food, you can conquer any temptation.
8. When you think about God more and digest His word daily you recognize more clearly how He works in your life.
9. We have a great church and people really responded by participating in the fast.
10. Once I got rid of the junk out of my body, I began to desire things that were better for me. Obvious implications.
If you fasted at all these last few weeks, take some time this week to reflect on your experience. I really didn't want to stop I enjoyed it so much. I plan on picking a day within the next week or so that I will fast each week. If you are interested in joining me in choosing to do a weekly fast, let me know.