Questions #3- How Can I Handle Discouragement?
You may be wondering from my last post, "What is the difference between discouragement and depression?" Very simply, depression is discouragement that has won. You will experience many discouraging times in your life and how you handle them will be vital to you fulfilling your destiny. Discouragement is very common, it can be recurring, and is highly contagious. I want to encourage to read the story of Nehemiah today in your Bible and see why Nehemiah became discouraged and how he overcame it. Here are some of the principles from the story.
The reasons we become discouraged.
1. Just plain tired (physically, mentally, emotionally exhausted)
2. Frustrated (things aren't going well)
We overcome discouragement by...
1. Finding a better way to do something (reorganizing)
2. Remember the Lord (His goodness, that He is present & His power)
3. Resist the gloomy outlook (stay positive, find the good)
I've been through many discouraging times in my life, even over the last year. God has brought me through each and every one of them and I know that He will bring you through too as you trust Him!
Questions to ask yourself right now:
1. Which of the 4 reasons of becoming discouraged affects you the most? 2. What do you like to remember most about God when you're discouraged and how does that help you?