Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Be careful what you eat!

Lawsuit: Man got 9-foot tapeworm from restaurant

CHICAGO (AP) — A man who contends he got a 9-foot tapeworm after eating undercooked fish has sued a Chicago restaurant.
In the lawsuit filed Monday, Anthony Franz said he ordered salmon salad for lunch from Shaw's Crab House in 2006 and fell violently ill. He later passed the giant parasite, which a pathologist determined came from undercooked fish, such as salmon.

Franz's lawsuit seeks $100,000 from Shaw's and its parent company, Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises, contending the restaurant's staff was negligent in serving him improperly cooked fish.

But Carrol Symank, vice president of food safety for Lettuce Entertain You, said the tapeworm didn't come from Shaw's.

"We have done a thorough investigation and we're confident the restaurant is not the source," he said.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Chicago | Shaw | Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises
According to the website mayoclinic.com, tapeworms can measure up to 50 feet long.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.