This weekend we had Robert Cameron from Wave Church in Virginia Beach, Va. Robert oversees wave network, an association of churches that connect in faith and vision with Wave Church. On Saturday he did our fall leadership summit for all of our awesome volunteers. He talked about building a church culture that is excellent and pleasing to God. Here are some of the thoughts that he shared with us.
Building a church culture of excellence.
1. Serve the Lord with Gladness- Not with madness.
2. Honor- Speak right to one another. Prefer one another. (Proverbs 15, Romans 12:10)
3. Favor- Wherever their is favor there is life. Jesus had favor with both God and man and we need the same. (Psalm 35)
4. We need to have a good report- No one remembers the names of the spies who came back with a negative report even though their names are listed. We do remember Joshua & Caleb as being the men who came back with the good report.
5. What you respect, you will attract- Respect positive people and respect souls (people coming to Jesus).
6. Gathering mentality- Be attractive to others. People who do not read the Bible are reading you.
7. Wear the restraints of the vision- Vision for your life & church keeps you focused on what you should be doing.
8. Serve one another- Get along well with others. Even those that you don't care for.
9. Have an effective prayer life- James 5 tells us that the prayer of the righteous is effective.
10. Have the same DNA - Don't come with your own agenda, attach yourself to the vision of the Pastor & leadership.
11. Be planted in the house- Only people with roots survive the storms of life. (Psalm 92)
1. Mediocrity- If you can't be on time, be early.
2. Small thinking- Beware of stinking thinking.
3. Vision should always be bigger than your resources.
4. Don't idolize your ministry or position in the church.
5. Don't break the confidence of others by gossiping.
6. Don't be racist.
7. Don't be legalistic.