Here are the raw facts that I threw at everyone this past week in my message about the Bible and a process that I use when reading the Bible.
All About The Bible
Through 66 separate books, 1,189 chapters, and hundreds of thousands of words, the Bible shares one extraordinary message: God Loves You!
The Bible was written:
• over a 1500 year span (from 1400 B.C to A.D. 100)
• over 40 generations
• over 40 authors from many walks of life (i.e. - kings, peasants, philosophers, fishermen, poets, statesmen, scholars)
• in different places (i.e. - wilderness, dungeon, palaces)
• at different times (i.e. - war, peace)
• in different moods (i.e. - heights of joy, depths of despair)
• on three continents (Asia, Africa, and Europe)
• in three languages (Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek)
Bible Facts – The Books of the Bible The Old Testament has 17 Historical, 5 Poetical, and 17 Prophetic books in it.
• The 17 Historical Books are: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel, 1 Kings, 2 Kings, 1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, and Esther.
• The 5 Poetical Books are: Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Song of Solomon,
• The 17 Prophetic Books are: Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi.
The New Testament has 4 Gospels, Acts, 21 Epistles (letters), and Revelation in it.
• The 4 Gospels are: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John,
• The 21 Epistles are: Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews, James, 1 Peter, 2 Peter, 1 John, 2 John, 3 John, and Jude.
HOW TO GET YOUR FACE IN THE BOOK
SCRIPTURE- Pick a book and begin to read. You can join with me in reading the book of Matthew this Christmas!
OBSERVATION- What is it that is going on in the story? What is the text and the context teaching you ?
APPLICATION- What is God by His Holy Spirit specifically telling you to do about what you just read today?
PRAYER- Pray and ask God to help you to live out His word in your life!
I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word. Psalms 119:16