As I finish up my 2nd week of fasting, there are a few thoughts that I'd like to share about what I'm learning.
1. I'm learning that I will make every lame, wussified, sissified, pansy-like excuse in the book not to fast. I've personally thought of a few hundred myself today.
2. I'm learning that I get bored easily because I think at times I'm on a diet instead of remembering that I'm believing God for completely desperate and hopeless situations to turn around. I lose focus easily.
3. I'm learning that it is really easy for me to compromise. I can find any reason in the world to not follow through on my fast. Enough said.
4. I'm learning that fasting really is an incredible spiritual practice that connects us with our creator like nothing else.
5. I'm learning that I can fast and starve myself, yet still ignore God & His Word. Which really ticks me off at myself because if I'm going to take part of a day & go prayer-less & not read God's Word, I should do so with cheese steak in hand.
I'm learning! I'm sure that you are too. In fact, I bet that many of you that are fasting right now relate to my thoughts completely. If you've blown it, ate Ben & Jerry's or gorged yourself at some amish smorgasbord today, don't give up! Buckle down, suck it up and focus on those things that you are believing God for. Your unbelieving friend, sick family member or financial challenges are well worth the effort. God still responds to prayer & fasting! Make a decision to stop complaining about your issues and choose to do something about it today! Get fasting!