Sunday, May 31, 2009
Leadership Summit- Part 2, "It"
Our entire church leadership team will be going through a book called, "it." The book is written by one of my favorite Pastor/Leaders, Craig Groeschel, of LifeChurch.tv. Right now our church has "it," we are growing & significant life change is happening in the lives of those whom attend. There is a positive & life-giving atmosphere & the church is functioning as it should. (mostly :)) My passion is that our church will not only keep "it," but that we grow in "it" & give "it" away. Here are a few notes from what I shared. (adapted from the book "It")
How many of you have walked into a church experience and it was … “dead?” And we all can name churches that have “IT,” churches that had “IT” and lost “IT,” and many churches that don’t have “IT.” So what is “IT?” I don’t know. I believe that God makes “IT” happen. It is by Him and for Him, and we can’t create it, manufacture it, put it in the bottle and study it. Someone can bring it, and another could kill it. It’s not a system or a model. It’s not a “seeker-sensitive” deal or a “purpose-driven” deal. “IT” attracts critics. If you have “IT”, people will shoot at “IT”. You could say “IT” happens…but often “IT” doesn’t. Bad news is, if you have “IT,” that doesn’t mean that you can’t lose “IT.” If you don’t have “IT,” that doesn’t mean that you can’t get “IT.” The early church had “IT.” Acts 2:42-47
How do we get “IT?”
There are certain qualities that are most often there when “IT” is there.
1. LASER FOCUS. What can you be the very best at? In order to reach people that no one is reaching, you’ll have to do things that no one is doing. But in order to do things that no one else is doing, we can’t do what everyone else is doing. We need a uniquely focused set of ministries. Because of this, we (Freedom Life) have the margin to do these 5 things well,
a. Weekend Services b. Small Groups c. Children’s Ministries d. Student Ministries e. Missions
Question- What are you doing that you need to stop doing? You have everything you need to accomplish what God wants you to.
2. THEY SEE OPPORTUNITIES WHERE OTHERS SEE OBSTACLES.
3. THEY’RE WILLING TO FAIL. Those without “IT” play it safe. Some may say that “failure is not an option.” I agree. Failure is a necessity. Question- What has God called you to do that you’re afraid to attempt? When are you going to do “IT?”
4. YOU NEED TO HAVE IT FOR YOUR MINISTRY TO GET IT.
“Everything rises and falls on leadership.” -John Maxwell
Question- If you don’t have “IT,” what are you going to do to get “IT?”
5. YOU NEED TO GIVE IT AWAY TO KEEP IT.
“It’s not what you expect that gets done, it’s what you inspect!” -someone smart
1. I do IT 2. I do IT, you watch 3. We do IT together 4. You do IT, I watch 5. You do IT by yourself
Question- Who are you giving IT too? Who is helping & replacing you?
A FRANCISCAN BLESSING:
May God bless you with discomfort at easy answers, half truths, and superficial relationships, so that you may live deep within your heart. May God bless you with anger at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people, so that you may work for justice, freedom and peace. May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, and war, so that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and to turn their pain in to joy. And may God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you can make a difference in this world, so that you can do what others claim cannot be done.
at May 31, 2009